Tuesday 11 November 2014

Book Review- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone



I know this book is intended for a younger audience and a man 26 years of age might seem funny reading it but I missed out all the fun in my teen years and wanted to catch up. J K Rowling did not disappoint. As a kid, I used to be a voracious reader. I don't know how I gave the Pottermania a skip.

The book is a delight and I'd recommend it to all those who are my age or past but are young at heart. It is written in a simple, delightful language. The world of potions and wands just comes alive in those pages. Although I knew the ending due to the spoilers given to me by my cousin, I still ended the novel at the edge of my seat, biting my nails.

Harry Potter is an adorable character and so are Ron and Hermione. Hagrid steals hearts with his big guy- big heart act. All the characters, Dumbledore, Voldermort (Oops! I said his name), Snape, Longbottom, they all leave a mark and it is no wonder they're a part of folklore now.

Small acts of courage and adventure warmed my heart throughout the novel. I liked it and it was proof that the child within me is not dead yet.

My favourite parts from the book in no particular order are-

1. Neville Longbottom stands up against his friends for what he thinks is right.

2. Dumbledore tries Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans and gets 'ear wax'.

3. Snape tries to save Harry in the Quidditch match.

4. Ron and Hermione, whenever they talk!

5. Hagrid has motherly feelings for a baby dragon.

The book can be finished in one long sitting or two short ones. It provides for some light reading and the pages turn themselves. I read it on my Kindle and it was amazing how fast I was going.

I give it four stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave without saying anything...!