Friday 27 December 2013

What would I gift my kid?

This post is a part of the 1001 Gifts Activity by HDFC Life in association with BlogAdda

Ok, so I am not yet even close to getting married but I do have a plan for my future kids. Of course, I want them to be better than me on every front and that's a high standard to live up to IMHO. Ok, well not so humble opinion. Anyway, playing Santa for my kid, I'd bring the following gifts for junior-

1. A beautiful love story.
If it's a girl, she'd be reading Mills and Boons anyway but, I'm talking about my story. There is no feeling warmer than being brought up in a loving family. I'd do a Ted Mosby and tell my kids about how I met their mother and what hurdles I had to cross to be the man that I was so that she could fall for me. Also, I'd love to introduce them to the Great love stories lying on the folklores of India because I do believe that stories of selfless dedication help in building character and integrity. For those interested, I am already writing my love story for my kids on my blog-How I meet her
Of course, I will introduce them to it when they reach the right age. I can be their love guru too.

2. Access to my private book collection.
There is no joy better than putting up a ladder or stool to climb up your dad's old bookshelf and discover the treasures lying there. I'd love to see junior do that and would actually introduce him to Weber, Wordsworth and other suchlike great minds so that he can stay inspired.

3. A hobby
I know, I know, you can't gift someone a hobby but, I believe that us Indian parents treat hobbies as luxuries. Most of us. I'd identify his inner musician/ painter/ martial artist/ sportsman and let him explore it since early childhood. I am sure this gift will take him places.

4. An yearly trip to some far away land.
A wise man once said that there are only two kinds of wise people in this World. The ones who have read a lot and those who have traveled a lot. I'd give him the soul of a nomad. Teach him to respect all cultures, all religions and judge no one.

5. A cool dad!
I'd listen to them, be there when they're rehearsing for a big play, play cricket with them, take them out every once in a while. I'd gift them ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave without saying anything...!